Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Not Quite What I Was Planning

What's your story? Now can you tell it in six words?

My friend Jason recently sent me an invitation to share my story in Smith Magazine's Not Quite What I Was Planning, a collection of six-word memoirs from celebrated writers, such as Dave (ohmygodiloveyoumarryme) Eggers, and those you've never heard of.

Last year's edition of The Best American Non Required Reading, which also happens to be edited by (idalsobetotallyokwithjustmakingbabies) Eggers, even published some of their favorite six-liners from Smith's book.

There is simple brilliance in of the art of telling a life's story with as few words as possible. And simple and brilliant are two words that are rarely connected to my name. I'm a twenty-something. And twenty-somethings are kind of like little kids in the middle of a game of Free All, zigzagging around the parking lot, bumping into parked cars and each other, trying desperately to either catch or not be caught. And there's always lots of screaming. Especially that time in sixth grade when Bill accidentally tripped Jaime and she broke her wrist.


So when I first sat down to sum up my life in six words, my blank page stayed blank for a very long time. But then I realized, I'm not nearly done yet.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin