Thursday, December 19, 2013

Boston Marathon 2014 - let's do this thing!

Gratitude.

That is the word that comes to mind when I hear the name Mass General Hospital. Gratitude for the world-class care I was given by the doctors there, exactly one year ago, when I was admitted for a third and final major surgery in my lifetime (and two in 11 months) due to complications from pediatric cancer.

Six weeks after I was wheeled into the recovery room, I once again laced up on my running shoes, new scars and all. Because of the amazing care I received at MGH, I was running the 2013 Boston Marathon.

Gratitude.

That was the overwhelming emotion leading up to April 15. I had a hell of a year. The Boston Marathon was to be my comeback.

In doing so, I asked for your help. And you responded in a way that took my breath away. And then I ran a race that will forever be my favorite race.

And as I turned from the roar of the finish line crowd to hobble towards my medal, the first bomb went off.

My heart was utterly broken. I cried, like, all the time. But in the midst of it all, and while I continued to process what happened and reconcile my greatest triumph with our city's greatest heartbreak, I reminded myself of all the good that was April 15. Of the passion, dedication, cheers, and motivation that make the Boston Marathon one of the best races in the world.

And most of all, of the men and women of our city who leapt into action when our city needed them most. Many of those men and women were members of the MGH Emergency Response Team. I am so proud that the hospital that I feel such a strong emotional connection to played such a leading role in the emergency response of the Boston Marathon bombs.

Because of men and women like those, of the outpouring of passion and pride from everyone in Boston, I can say with certainty that this is still our (fucking) city. The Boston Marathon is still our race. As of 2:50 p.m. last Patriot’s Day, I swore I would find a way to toe the line in 2014. And once again, MGH is giving me that chance.

I am running the 2014 Boston Marathon for the Mass General Hospital Emergency Response Fund. Of the 39 Boston Marathon victims treated at MGH, the most gravely wounded suffered from traumatic amputations, severe blood loss, and third-degree burns. In the tragedy’s wake, MGH began raising funds to support their Emergency Response Fund. And now, I am a part of that effort. Please help me in supporting the program that provides social services for victims and families of disasters, as well as emergency care, disaster relief, and disaster preparedness training by MGH.

I am so proud to be a part of this team.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin