Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Third degree Tuesday: Creative Under Takings

On Sunday a Twitter pal (hello @bsweichsel I am yelling your name right now) asked me to participate in his bi-weekly TalkShoe show, Creative Under Takings, because one of his usual guests couldn't make it. And at first I was all I am so good at talking watch me bust a move right now and do we get to talk about shoes? and then I was all wait do I actually have to sound intelligent cause you know I drank a lot of wine this weekend?

But I agreed anyway because Brent got me out of bed that morning to go running in the city and I owed him a slap across the face a favor.

And even though I definitely sounded like I drank too much wine that weekend and my phone freaked out five minutes into the show and I kept wondering if the other guests could hear me if I farted and I'm really not qualified to open my mouth ever, we had a pretty interesting conversation about an article on Bush's cultural legacy. Or lack thereof. Unless you count this legacy of cynics and uptight arses.

Listen to us blarble.



Which leads me to a question. If humor has gotten wilder and topics for shows and movies have gotten more ridiculous and lyrics have gotten cruder and as a society and we've become monkeys with no sense of self worth or human decency or personal space because of the filth we pollute our minds with, then why are we actually more censored than ever before? Why does pop culture (emphasis on the pop) tiptoe around the subjects that matter the most? And before you light your torches and sharpen your pitchforks, I give you one example:

Hogan's Heroes and M*A*S*H were two of the most successful programs of their time. What would people do if a new comedy pilot was released about a quirky group of prisoners at Abu Ghraib? Or a movie about a fantastically hilarious team of sexy army medics in Iraq? What do you think has made these topics so taboo? Is the War in Iraq more serious than World War II or the Korean War? Do you think that sentiment is good or bad?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin