Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wednesday's Song of the Week

On Monday night B and I went to the Monsters of Folk concert at Philadelphia's Kimmel Center. Hands down, it was one of the best live shows I've seen in a long time. But with band members as incredible as Jim James/Yim Yames, Conor Oberst, M. Ward, and Mike Mogis, that was expected. Nay, there would have been a hipster riot if it wasn't.

Seeing Monsters of Folk perform live was kind of like getting to eat all of my favorite foods at the same time. Jebus, does my life really revolve around eating this much? I guess it does. Anyway, watching four of the most talented artists of my time doing their thing on stage together is what I imagine sitting down to eat a meal of boardwalk pizza topped with cake batter ice cream and a heaping side of my mother's mashed potatoes and a chocolate chip cookie. Separately, they are awesome. Together, they make up a mind-blowing foursome. That's what she said HEY-YOO. Who's hungry?

And getting the chance to see them in a setting as regal as the Kimmel Center was actually kind of surreal, considering the audience. Picture, if you will, hundreds of bearded men in skinny jeans and flannel shirts flanked by rawboned women in absolutely killer slouched boots milling around the ornate foyer, shuffling their Chuck Taylor's on the marble floor, and peering up at the Greco-Roman paintings on the ceiling and muscled sculptures resting above their heads as they stand in line to buy the band's album on vinyl.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin