Tuesday, January 19, 2010

B12 is the magic number

I had a whole post planned for yesterday about how taking vitamin B12 has changed my life because it's totally eliminated my hangovers, but then I spent the majority of yesterday lying on my in-law's couch so hungover I was afraid if I moved my head, brain juice would ooze from my ears. True story.

So last summer at my brother-in-law's engagement party, his fiance casually mentioned that did you know vitamin B12 prevents hangovers? And as she said this, she shook a bottle of pills in the air and everyone within earshot scrambled over each other, arms outstretched like grubby little addicts being dolled out our daily fix. I can't remember if I had a hangover the next day, because I spent almost that entire summer weekend somewhere between a little bit and very drunk, but we'll call it a win.

Since then, it's been one of those items on my drug store list that I always remind myself to buy, but then blank on as soon as I get to CVS and then I end up coming home with a pack of gum and 13 bottles of shampoo because they were on sale! But, as some of you know, B and I recently became vegetarians, which has resulted in a great attention to absolutely everything I put in my body (that's what she said). Aaaanyway, as "athletes," we both need to be sure we have plenty of fuel for the burnin' and as such, I've been really diligent about eating foods packed with good stuff, as well as taking my vitamins every day.

And earlier this month, one of B's sisters, who's currently in med school at Georgetown, called to tell us that as vegetarians, it was important to make sure we got enough B12. So off I scampered to the local drug store and I've been taking it every day since then.

It's important for me to mention here that hangovers are almost a guarantee for me. I can drink three glasses of wine and I'll wake up the next morning with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth and a little man using a pick axe behind my eyes. Not that that's ever stopped me.

Anyway, three days after starting my B12 regimen, I went out for drinks with my sisters-in-law, and, naturally, drank a bit too much. And when I woke up the next morning? I felt amazing. Not only was I not hungover, but I was ready to kick some ass.

It's like B12 is a magic pill! Like if I sold my last cow for a bottle of them, then planted them in the backyard, I'd wake up the next morning and climb that B12 beanstalk to the giant in the sky and his giant pot of gold! I have not yet tested this, but you can bet I've scheduled some time this afternoon for planting B12. I've got to pay my credit card bill somehow.

Then the next morning I woke up after a night of heavy drinking, it was the same thing! No longer did I have to question myself before ordering another drink, will this be worth it in the morning? Because YES! It WILL BE! One more round? OF COURSE! Shot of whiskey? HECK YES! Try my homemade vodka? BRING IT ON! I may not have a job, but I'm immune to hangovers! I don't see how this could ever go wrong.

Until it did. Because after a long afternoon and evening of mimosas and saki bombs and Magic Hats and borovicka and homemade vodka from family in Slovakia and blah blah blah I swear I don't have a drinking problem, all of which went down the hatch without hesitation, I woke up feeling like hell. I blame the homemade vodka and I'm pretty sure I swallowed a twig with my drink. I guess that's what happens when you drink things made out of rotting fruits and vegetables you plucked from your backyard. And speaking of which, NEVER AGAIN.

So maybe B12 is magic, but maybe magic still can't beat that homemade death juice. So what have I learned? I can drink anything thanks to B12! As long as it wasn't brewed in a bathtub in Slovakia. Buy yourself some vitamin B12 and thank me later. Or better yet, buy some vitamins for someone in Haiti. That'll feel even better when you wake up in the morning.

3 comments:

Becky Mochaface said...

B12 is on the pharmacy list now! Let's see how long it takes me to actually get it.

Joan Ankner said...

I'm a B12 fan too

Lora said...

my husband, King of No Hangovers, let me in on his secret recently. I love it. But the problem is, his B12 has Rosehips, which interacts poorly with another supplement I take. Grr.
What is a girl to do?
How is a girl to drink?
I guess I'll have to go buy my own.
Also, I love how it makes my pee neon.

There are some things that I can't even have a sip of. Beer and wine kill me. That's why I stick to the brown stuff

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin