Monday, June 2, 2008

Reduce the poo

There's no question we live in one of the most wasteful societies in the world. As the Earth recedes further and further into irreversible compromise, art is the new activism. Photographer Chris Jordan's most recent body of work, Running the Numbers: An American Self Portrait, takes a microscopic look at exactly how wasteful this country is.
"This project visually examines these vast and bizarre measures of our society, in large intricately detailed prints assembled from thousands of smaller photographs. Employing themes such as the near versus the far, and the one versus the many, I hope to raise some questions about the role of the individual in a society that is increasingly enormous, incomprehensible, and overwhelming." Chris Jordan, Seattle, 2007
One million plastic cups used on U.S. airlines every 6 hours, two million plastic beverage bottles used every five minutes, 60,000 plastic bags used every five seconds. Jordan's series is truly a portrait of astronomical waste.

But Jordan's view into American culture doesn't stop with environmental travesties. He touches on everything from health care (9 million children without health insurance in 2007) to violence (29,569 gun-related deaths in 2004) to war ($12.5 million spent every hour on the war in Iraq).

The true impact of Jordan's numbers and art must be seen. If nothing else, it'll serve as a reminder to give your air conditioner a break, bring your canvas bags to the grocery store, and always carry your Sigg.

As for me, I'm always working on reducing my waste poo wastefulness. I've refined my middle finger wave jay walking skills ability to walk in heels by walking to work every day. My Sigg has become even more necessary than my cell phone for my ability to function properly each day. I sweat through my sheets lie awake panting make B cry rely on the breeze from my windows each night instead of using the air conditioner. And I only use plastic bags when I'm picking up Hurley's poo.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin