Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wednesday's Song of the Week

As some of you know, I'm "training" for another marathon. Emphasis on the quotation marks. Kind of like how I always put quotation marks around the word "adult" when I'm referring to myself. Mostly because when I ask myself the question WOULD A FUNCTIONAL ADULT DO THIS THING? The answer is usually no. And then I do it anyway. That's pretty much how my training has been going. Oh sorry, my "training." WOULD A FUNCTIONAL MARATHONER EAT THIS DONUT? WOULD A FUNCTIONAL MARATHON FEEL SO AWFUL AT MILE 4? WOULD A FUNCTIONAL MARATHONER HAVE ANOTHER MARTINI? WOULD A FUNCTIONAL MARATHONER BE LYING IN FETAL POSITION ON HER LIVING ROOM FLOOR?

This has been one of the worst winters in recent history for runners in New England. This weather has sucked. SUCKED. Not to mention, I'm still feeling the after effects of the injury that benched me for a few weeks late last fall. And we all know what THAT did for my mental stability.

So last weekend, when I set out for my long run I decided that I needed to take a little music with me to keep my mind off the fact that I was surely going to want to hurl my body into oncoming traffic somewhere around mile 14.

The conditions on Saturday morning were not the best: more snow on top of the base layer of ice already on the ground. Not to mention I was running against a wicked wind in pretty much every direction. And then came the hill. My head was down. My thoughts were homicidal. I was dropping F bombs under my breath just for the sake of dropping F bombs. When all of a sudden, at the exact moment that I was cresting that gahd-awful incline, Florence and the Machine's Cosmic Love came on my iPod. The asphalt rolled away under my feet and the ocean view exploded in front of me. Below, waves crashed violently against the gray skies. And damn, that did the trick. I felt like I was flying. I was filled with so much raw energy. I could feel the music bouncing off of all of my cells. My skin was pins and needles. My heart felt like it was going to explode with happiness. Gah I love a good drum beat. Violently.

Fast forward another 10 miles and I was ready to shuffle back to the same hill just so I could throw myself off the cliff to the icy waters below once I got to the top, but let's end on a high note today, eh?!

I know I already used Cosmic Love as a Song of the Week last spring, but if you're anything like me you have the attention span of a hamster and the short term memory of a goldfish so we're totally cool here. And goodness I love this album. You get it again. BOOM.



Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too
So I stayed in the darkness with you.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin